These are weight loss tips anyone can and should apply. They constitute the basis for effective weight management:
(no email address required)
This RSS feed keeps you up-to-date with all new content added to the Med-Solver.com website.
Click below to subscribe.
What's an RSS Feed?
- Educate yourself, at least qualitatively, about the calorie content of food. You should
be able to tell at a glance what's a diet breaker and what not.
- Learn how to control hunger, and don't fall into the trap of binge eating. A low calorie
snack eaten before you're very hungry can fill you up and bridge the gap to your next meal. (Low cal broth, a low fat yogurt, a cup of fruit or vegetables, coffee or tea, and even a glass of water are all reasonable choices. For more low calorie snack options, see our section on hunger control.
- If at all possible, sleep at least 8 hours per night. This is one of the most important weight loss tips you will ever hear. Ignore it and you're setting yourself up for failure! Sleep reduces your stress levels and thereby reduces your propensity to gain weight. Moreover, it helps control your appetite during waking hours.
- Don't eat close to bed-time. If you do, the body will tend to store the calories as fat rather than burn them for energy. Your last meal should ideally be 3 hours or more prior to bed-time.
Find a new hobby (something you like to do that doesn't involve food). The trick is to find an activity which captivates you enough to keep your mind off eating. Take the time to think about this: What do you actually enjoy doing that's unrelated to food...?
Reduce the stress in your life. Stress increases appetite and facilitates accumulation of
abdominal fat. Use stress reduction techniques such as yoga, physical exercise (walking or hiking), meditation, listening to classical music, a stretch routine before bed-time, etc.
- Educate yourself about exercise. Even if you think you are unable to exercise, you may
find there are certain exercise modalities you could do. For example: Walking, stretching, muscle
conditioning or strength training, etc). At least, try to tuck the tummy in while you walk - it burns calories and is good for the posture.
- Do not wear large sack like clothes. They make you loose perspective of your actual
- If you are not physically incapacitated, walk. This is one of the most common weight loss tips out there, but also one of the most effective: Walk in the park, at the mall, in the
parking lot and at the office. And whenever possible, walk up the stairs.
- And now, some medical weight loss tips: Take a daily multivitamin supplement such as Centrum (it brings you valuable
elements which your body may be depleted off, particularly during a weight loss diet
when you cut your overall food intake). This is particularly important if you are unable
to eat fresh fruit and vegetables as part of your diet. Failure to bring the needed vitamins
and minerals in the body may cause increased hunger and compromise your diet.
- By the same token, consider an omega-3 supplement: Omega-3 fatty acids have widespread beneficial effects throughout the body, including facilitating weight loss.
- Also, you may want to consider a daily Calcium supplement, particularly if you don't
consume dairy products as a regular part of your diet.
Note: Calcium supplements may be contraindicated in certain medical conditions, therefore please
clear this with your doctor.)
- When shopping for food, read the nutrition labels of the items you buy. Know the calorie count and the fat content of these items, and learn how to interpret these numbers. For further details, see our section on reading nutrition labels.
Eventually, you will be able to compare between various food items at a glance, and you will pick
the ones that are best for you (with a lower fat and calorie content).
- Remember portion control. No matter how healthy the food, it will cause weight gain if the
portions are too large.
This rounds out our weight loss tips. You may also want to check out our article on Cooking for Weight Loss.
See a List of Healthy Foods
Return from "Useful Weight Loss Tips" to "Universal Weight Loss Strategies"